Monday, February 4, 2013

When in Rome...

When in Rome... I go antiquing! Rome, GA that is! Berry College, a wonderful client of mine, is located in Rome, and I probably visit the city at least several times a month. Berry has a beautiful campus full of interesting buildings and amazing wildlife.

 
 
 
Until recently, I had never been to Rome's downtown area, but on this last visit I meandered downtown for a quick visit to a few local spotsThat's when I happened upon Master's Antiques, a local shop full of treasures!
 
I love to design spaces that look collected over time and layered. To do this, you cannot purchase all new items for your home. For a space to be unique to the individual it must be a collection of what each client is drawn to and loves.
 
Antiques are a wonderful way to mix in classics and different periods with new furnishings. Heirlooms are incredible and come with a story... a history. If you're not blessed with heirloom pieces, or heirlooms that you love, then you can hunt for your own piece of history to infuse into your style.
 
Some of the items I spotted at Masters Antiques I just couldn't leave there so I brought a few items home because I fell in love. They will find a way into my home in their own way.
 
Here are a few of my finds...
 
These hand embroidered Italian linens are so incredible and I just couldn't pass them up! Think outside the box when incorporating antiques in your home. These linens could be framed as art.




I loved this little stool but unfortunately did leave without purchasing. Simple to recover, it would be adorable as a vanity stool or in a master closet or a little girls room. Lots of possibilities!


This stool was $35 and is very close to this pretty one from Ballard Designs. Antique stores can also be a great way to find bargain pieces that you can upgrade to a current style.

www.ballarddesigns.com
 
The pattern and color in this rug was incredible but I had to pass on this as well as I don't have a spot for it!


I did pick up these silver bowls which have so many uses... serving pieces for snacks, use for votive candles, or on a vanity or nightstand to hold jewelry.


My last treasure find of this trip were these green and gold 1960s glasses.


I just loved the mix of green and gold and they were very similar to glassware I recently spotted at Anthropologie, except these are the real deal!



I'm always amazed by all the items I find while scouting for clients, shopping, and antiquing, but each time I find something I love, it makes our home a collection of what is unique and special about our family. Adding what you love and changing decor makes the space more you.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment