Saturday, November 3, 2012

I love a little dress

Must admit I'm more of a dressed up kind of girl. I prefer a skirt to pants. I believe it's better to be overdressed than under.

This holds true in my powder room as well. In a tight space where a vanity would make a guest bath feel cramped, opting for a pedestal sink is the only solution. So putting a skirt on, in this case to my sink, accomplishes several things ... hide the plumbing, add texture, and find storage in a space where there was none before.

So this was a DIY project and I'm not much of a sewer but I do think this turned out pretty cute. It's attached with none other than velcro!

 
Here's a closer view. Notice I've changed the bathroom rug already. I love to change the details.
 
 
Skirt Sink Tutorial ...
Step 1. I used 2 yards of 54" width fabric.
Step 2. I hemmed both sides of the fabric, so there was a finished edge.
Step 3. I then folded over the top to get the right length 
Step 4. I folded several pleats and pinned them as I went around the sink, to make the skirt lay correctly and use the excess fabric.
Step 5. Then I stitched down the pleats with the sewing machine.
Step 6. Finally, I added industrial strength velcro in white (choose the closest color to your sink) along the top of the skirt and firmly pressed it to the sink.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin....so nice to meet you at Scott's yesterday! By the way...your portfolio is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sherry! It was great running into you as well. You're advice at ADAC has been inspiring!

    ReplyDelete